It’s time to bring out the tissues because “The Most Interesting Man in the World” is retiring. The iconic Dos Equis actor, Jonathan Goldsmith, has taken a one-way trip to Mars — in his last commercial that is. How else could you send off a man that has won this Lifetime Achievement Award twice, is fluent in all languages, and doesn’t need a photo for his passport? The last statement that will ever be made about this icon was, “His only regret is not knowing what regret feels like,” says the commercial’s narrator. It’s jaw-dropping to think that Goldsmith has played this role for a decade, so it’s with a heavy heart that he and his fans have to say goodbye.
Before you weep at the end of an era, the Heineken brand is going to keep the character, just change the actor. The VP of marketing for Dos Equis released a statement saying, “From superheroes to super-spies, our fans are accustomed to and enjoy different takes on the same character. We know 'The Most Interesting Man in the World' will continue to endure and grow, as the character's story is bigger than one individual," AdWeek reported.
There’s been no word on the actor who’s taking over, but they definitely have some big shoes to fill. We can only hope that they’re keeping hush-hush about the situation because we vote that it's a woman. You hear that Dos Equis? We’re looking for “The Most Interesting Woman in the World” — we like beer, too!
Here's other bits of juiciness from the week:
- Casting call for a Latina ‘Donald Trump Executive Assistant Supporter’ was fake, but we wouldn’t put it past him. [Jezebel]
- Power to the Navajo midwives that are planning for a Native American birth center in New Mexico — it would be the first one ever! [Colorlines]
- Since you were a little kid you might have wondered what mami was doing with that scary gooey water at the bottom of your bean can. Well they’ve confirmed that it’s not bad — give your mom a call and let her know, too! [HuffingtonPost]
- Paging all taco lovers: There’s a chair just for you. We wonder if a burrito chair will be next? [Eater]
- New study reveals that undocumented immigrants pay over a whopping $12 billion dollars in taxes, and that’s only for the federal government. [Mic]
- A black woman was raped at a fraternity, but that didn’t stop her from going back there. In a powerful dominatrix photo series, she’s challenging power and ownership of her sexuality. [Black Girl Long Hair]
- Remember that super hot convict? The one with beautiful eyes and a chiseled jawline for the gods? Well, he’s finally out of prison. [Paper Mag]
- A drag queen brought our '90s cartoon characters to life. File this under “another skill that makes drag queens the bomb.” [Buzzfeed]
Olivia Wilde took on a new role, and this time it was director of Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero’s latest music video for the song "No Love Like Yours." Take a look and decide if she did a boss job or not!