Summer is a time to relax and indulge. Chill out on the beach, feast on your favorite foods, and count fireflies. But all that fun outdoors—especially in the pool and under the sun—can mean major consequences for your luscious locks. Your hair can get frizzy, bleached, and brassy when it’s been overexposed to sun, chlorine, and saltwater. That’s why you have to take preventative measures and plan for proper aftercare. You want your hair to be the best it can be from Memorial Day straight into Labor Day, no matter how hot and humid it gets out there.
Here are seven ways to help your hair live up to its full beauty and wellness potential this summer:
1. Kick summer off with a trim. Cold weather keeps most of us at home more often. So if it’s been a while since you visited the salon, book an appointment. Get your split ends trimmed and your hair will suddenly look livelier than it has in months.
2. Find a new favorite hat. Baseball caps may keep the sun out of your eyes, but they don’t do much to protect your hair (unless you have a super short cut.) Wear a hat with a brim wide enough to actually cover your hair when you go outside. Your scalp and ears will thank you, too.
3. Use a really hydrating shampoo and conditioner. Chances are your regular shampoo and conditioner won’t cut it come summertime. Switch it for a product that will hydrate, detangle, and smooth your mane to perfection. Try Pantene Expert Intense Hydration Shampoo and Conditioner, which comes with a satisfaction guarantee!
4. Fall in love with sunscreen for your hair. Minimize sun damage. Coat your tresses in a gel, cream, or spray-based product with UV protection. Sunscreen for your hair works pretty much the same way sunscreen for your skin does—and is just as important.
5. Say no to hot tools. Go with the flow this summer and don’t add stress to your locks by using blow dryers and irons. Wash your hair at night and pull it into a bun or braid so that it dries while you sleep.
6. Get a little help from anti-frizz products. You don’t need a lot of anti-frizz serum or oil to define your curls and waves. Just a drop or two will tame your frizz and add shine.
7. Spring for a keratin treatment. If you’re really committed to keeping your hair pristine this summer, make the salon investment you won’t regret. You’ll still have to treat your hair with care, but a keratin treatment will serve as an extra preventative measure for your summer fun.
How do you keep your hair healthy during the summer?