When 29-year-old Kirsty Weston from Hertfordshire, England decided to change up her look with pastel unicorn hair, she had no idea she was going to end up in the hospital.

Although her mom is a hairstylist, Weston decided to do the job herself in order to save money. She bought an inexpensive box of dye, which came with packets of bleach that needed to be mixed with peroxide she had to buy separately.

According to the Daily Mail, Weston got 40 volume 12% peroxide that "promised to lighten her locks by up to nine shades."

After applying the bleach to her head, it was only a matter of minutes before Weston began to feel an alarming burning sensation.

"Within 15 minutes, my hair was literally smoking," she told the Daily Mail. "The pain was so excruciating that I started to feel dizzy, like I was going to faint. 

"It happened quite suddenly. I could feel that it was quite warm, but it got so much worse very quickly. I immediately went to wash it all off, but I think it had already got into my scalp," she added.

The next day, Weston's face began to swell to the point where she couldn't open her left eye so she went to the hospital to be treated for an allergic reaction. She was still in pain, and it wasn't until she returned to the hospital several weeks later that doctors realized she had severe chemical burns on her scalp.

"A plastic surgeon came to see me and when they lifted my hair, most of my scalp came away with it," she told the Daily Mail. "I was a complete emotional wreck. They told me that I needed to have surgery the next day," she added.

She ended up spending six weeks in the hospital undergoing a total of six surgeries, including a skin graft from her thigh to replace the destroyed skin on her head. Sadly, she may never be able to grow hair in that area again and has completely lost her confidence.

Additional surgeries may help, but Weston has no plans to continue with operations at this time since she wants to focus on her 2-year-old daughter. Fortunately, she was offered a wig by a charity called the Katie Piper Foundation that will be ready in September. 

"I want to see if I can live with the hair piece," she shared with the Daily Mail. "I might be able to avoid further surgery if I can get used to it and feel happy." She has been covering her head with scarves or a hoodie in the meantime. 

Weston is now using the experience to warn others against attempting a similar procedure at home, and the internet agrees.

No hair color is worth this kind of risk.