It is being reported that there has been a shooting at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport in Florida today, January 6.
An NBC News reporter has confirmed that people were shot during this incident and that the shooter is in custody.
At least nine people were shot and one has been pronounced dead so far. The suspect is believed to be the only shooter.
January 6 at 2:35 pm ET:
- Law enforcement officials have now confirmed to CNN that five people are dead, and eight people have been taken to the hospital.
January 6 at 4:05 pm ET:
- Law enforcement officials have confirmed to CNN that five people are dead, and Broward County Mayor Barbara Shariefeight has also reported to CNN that 13 injured people were taken to the hospital.
- Officials also confirmed that the shooting took place in baggage claim are of Terminal 2 at the airport.
- Investigators are looking into the gunman's motive, and Broward sheriff Scott Israel did establish during the media briefing that the lone shooter was arrested without incident.
- Florida’s Senator Bill Nelson did release a name and mentioned that the gunman had a military identification card that was being questioned for its authenticity, but these details (name and ID) have not been confirmed by officials yet.
- The FBI is also in communication with local authorities, according to CNN.
We will update this story as more news breaks.