There’s shopping and then there’s splurging. Here’s how to tell the difference: There you are, holding your credit card in your hand, when you start to realize just how much money you’re about to spend on something that’s by no means a necessity. Your heart beats a little faster because you’re about to blow your rent, but then you tell yourself "F*ck it, I deserve this!"
We asked six Vivala readers for their confessions: What’s the most you’ve ever spent on a single fashion item? Here, the splurges they say are totally worth it.
1. I’d always dreamt of going to Paris and shopping at Celine. “$270 for a pair of black Céline sunglasses. I'd never spent more than $150 for a fashion item, so this was a huge deal for me. I bought them when I was studying abroad in France. It was always a dream of mine to visit Paris and shop at Céline, so I started saving money once I found out I’d be leaving. Although they’re my favorite, I try not to wear them more than twice a week – I hope they last a lifetime!” – Chelsea Jerez, student
2. It was time I bought “adult” jewelry. “I hardly ever splurge, but I did when I went to Dubai last year. They’re known for their Gold Souks (imagine an insane mercado of all gold), and I spent almost $2,000 on two necklaces that I wear every day. I was motivated to buy my first ‘adult’ jewelry purchase, so I figured what better place to do it than Dubai!” – Glenny Cruz, publicist
3. I’d wanted these sneakers for years. “I bought a pair of Golden Goose Super Star sneakers (I’ve wanted them for years), so I slowly saved for them. They were originally $500, but I had a discount code (!) and got them for $400. They have a great hidden wedge that adds about 1.5 inches. As far as sneakers go, they make your legs look fab, and they look great with everything. I am wearing them as I type this now, in fact!” – Irene Vasiliou, Jr., sales executive
4. Fendi. Over 50% off?! “$2,100 for a Fendi fur baguette bag that I bought on sale. The original price tag was $4,500! It only comes out for special occasions.” – Diana Zapata Rosero, cp-founder of Full Force PR
5. It was love at first sight. I had to have it. “I remember I instantly fell in love with a Marchesa Notte dress I saw on Emma Watson at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards. At that moment, I knew it had to be my high school graduation dress. I found it on sale on Net-A-Porter for $600. I still own it, and can see myself wearing it to a wedding, but sadly, I haven’t worn it since.” – Bianca Nieves, editorial intern
6. It was a great year in my career, so I decided to treat myself. “I’m not a handbag woman, I’m all about the shoes. Just this past winter, after years of lusting over these Stuart Weitzman Lowland over-the-knee boots (about $800), I pulled the trigger as a gift to myself celebrating my first year as a successful freelance writer.” – Michelle Ruiz, freelance writer